This gallery contains 1 photo.
Tomorrow night, Monday, March 25th , we have a truly special Festival treat – an evening of new work fresh from GirlWrights, our Playwrighting Lab for Young Women. We’re showcasing staged readings of monologues and plays by young playwrights … Continue reading
This gallery contains 3 photos.
Have you made it to any of the readings in our New Works Reading series? If not, you’re really missing out. I was at two readings this week, and the houses were filled with writers and theater enthusiasts. For playwrights, … Continue reading
I hope you’ll excuse me while I kvell a little here! It’s so exciting for us to be able to announce that thanks to the incredibly positive audience and critical response to our production of Lynne’ Kaufman’s THE COUCH, we’ve extended its limited run beyond the Festival dates. We still have excellent availability for both of our main stage plays through March 31 (and great 2-play packages), and we have 2 more wonderful weeks of readings and events on the Festival calendar. But now we’ve also added 3 more dates for THE COUCH: Friday April 5 and Saturday April 6 at 8 pm, and for you matinee-lovers, Sunday April 7 at 2 pm.
Peter Ruocco (Jung) and Louis Parnell (Freud) tangle in Lynne Kaufman’s THE COUCH. Photo by Jim Norrena.
As a Company, we really couldn’t be more delighted with the reception to our brand new, uniquely 3GT take on Lynne’s play! All of the members of our team — director Amy Glazer, playwright Lynne Kaufman, cast members, designers, front of house crew, along with the behind-the-scenes folks responsible for our impressive production values –have been singled out for praise by the critics and by audience members. Here are just a few examples of what we’re hearing:
- “3Girls Theatre’s welcome revival features a stellar cast . . funny and intriguing. . . high-end production values. Kaufman’s triumphant, feminist ending is both hilarious and deeply satisfying.” Jean Schiffman, SF Examiner
- “a perfect jewel of a play. . . .unfolds with clarity and humorous twists, authentic costuming, and tight performances by a talented ensemble” Cari Lynn Pace, Marin Scope
- “an excellent reprise. . .[acted] with aplomb and believability. . . The set has a starring role” John McMullen, Berkeley Daily Planet
- “delightfully humorous and irreverent” Susan Cohn, San Mateo Daily Journal
- “hilariously witty writing . . . deliverance by a quintet of stellar performers never disappoints” Emma Krasov, Art and Entertain Me
And the full articles are even better than these short quotes! And mo bettah: audience response has been powerful and satisfying. Goldstar reviewers resoundingly agree with the critics. And my personal favorite Goldstar comment:
“The theater company is wonderful. Go support them.”
Yahoo! If you still haven’t bought your tickets — or if your March calendar was too tight to fit in a show — I hope all of this encourages you to join us soon and see what happens when 3Girls Theatre puts women’s work on stage, where it belongs!
3Girls founders Lee Brady, AJ Baker and Suze Allen on Opening Night at the 2013 Festival
Join Playwright Lynne Kaufman for our final Psychology Weekend Event!
Happy St. Patty’s Day! We’re celebrating with a very special 30 minute pre-show conversation between Lynne and third generation Jungian analyst Dr. Tom Kirsch about the Jung/Freud relationship, Jungian and Freudian analysis then and now, and the personal and professional life of Carl Jung and his circle. Dr. Kirsch has a fascinating take on the play and its context. Audience members are invited to mingle and meet Lynne and Tom at a wine and cheese reception after the talk. Tickets are still available to the 4 pm show so don’t miss out on winding up the weekend with 3Girls Theatre! Special discount: Enter the code JUNG at checkout to get $5 off! Buy your tix here.
Director Amy Glazer
THE COUCH is getting crazy great reviews and attention! And tomorrow morning (Saturday March 16) you can hear playwright Lynne Kaufman and director Amy Glazer interviewed by Sedge Thomson on KALW’s WEST COAST LIVE at 10 am. Tell everyone you know to tune in (KALW 91.7 FM)! Or better yet, come on down to the Ferry Building and cheer on Amy and Lynne in person. I’ll be there too so if you come, make sure to say hi.
Playwright Lynne Kaufman
If you haven’t seen the press yet, here are just a few examples of what’s out there already:
- The San Francisco Examiner’s Jean Schiffman praises “3Girls Theatres welcome revival of San Francisco writer Lynne Kaufmans award- winning play The Couch”. . . Directed here by Amy Glazer with great panache, it features a stellar cast . . . Both funny and intriguing. . . it also boasts high-end production values. Kaufmans triumphant, feminist ending is both hilarious and deeply satisfying.“
- Marinscope‘s Cari Lynn Pace raves: “In director Amy Glazers skilled hands, it is a perfect jewel of a play. The Couch unfolds with clarity and humorous twists, authentic costuming, and tight performances by a talented ensemble”
- Berkeley Daily Planet‘s John McMullen calls the show “an excellent reprise. . . done with aplomb and believability.”
Tickets still available for this weekend: Fri and Sat at 8 pm, Sunday at 4 pm. And 3SHORTS plays in rep at 6 pm Sat and 6:30 pm Sunday.